6. Making Data Tell a Story with Excel 2010 Visuals
There are some very useful new data analysis and visualization tools in Excel 2010. The new Conditional Formatting and especially the new Sparklines feature allows me to show visual insight into the meaning of the numbers I am tracking or presenting. If you are looking for a way to quickly and easily make sense of data, but dont want to spend minutes or even hours preparing charts and metrics, you will be pleased with these new tools.
7. Get the Big Tasks Done Fast and Easy
Its all thanks to the new Office 2010 Backstage view in all the applications. It replaces the traditional File menu to give you a centralized space for all of your file management tasks. But beyond the simple tasks such as save, save as, and print, it adds powerful, but very easy to use tasks such as creating a new document from the vast template library on Microsoft.com and publishing to SharePoint, your blog, the web, and more. With PowerPoint 2010 you will even find broadcasting and compression options within the Backstage view!
8. Work with Office Wherever You Are
Many of my clients have run into the same issue. You need people, such as folks on the shop floor and remote users, to be able to work with Office documents but who dont need full Office features with the full Office price tag. Office 2010 can greatly help with the new Microsoft Office Web Apps. With Microsoft Office Web Apps and SharePoint, you can easily extend the Office 2010 experience to anyone who has access to your SharePoint site. Employees, volunteers, venders, customers, etc. can access, view and edit Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote files online from virtually anywhere. But thats not the end of the story. Use a Windows smartphone or Laptop? You might like these new features too.
- Microsoft SharePoint Workspace 2010 If you are a laptop user and your business uses SharePoint (thats me), you will love SharePoint Workspace. It lets you synchronize SharePoint 2010 lists and libraries that way you can access, view, and edit files anytime and anywhere, without the need for a Wi-Fi connection! When youre back online, everything will sync again with SharePoint.
- Microsoft Office Mobile 2010 You can stay current and respond quickly using new mobile versions of Office 2010 applications.
9. Waiting Your Turn is Old-school. Now You Can Work Together Simultaneously
This is a great new feature. At Pinnacle, I can find myself wanting to open a document that someone else is working on. Weve all seen what happens next, you get the familiar options to open a read-only copy, create a local copy to merge later, or receive notification when the original is available. Office 2010 changes the game.
You can use co-authoring in applications such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel Web App, and OneNote shared notebooks. A status bar notification tells you who is currently editing the document and where theyre making changes. Why is this so cool? Its now so much easier to brainstorm on ideas and meet deadlines now that you can you work in groups.
10. One More New Outlook Feature (Because Outlook 2010 is That Good) Conversations
If your day is anything like mine, you are inundated with many emails, from many different people, regarding several different projects. In the past and as a result, most of us found e-mail too often a burden rather than a productivity tool. However, Outlook 2010 has made a big step at help to turn all the noise into music.
Through the Conversation View feature of Outlook 2010, its e-mail management made easy. The new view aims to alleviate much of the noise by offering new ways to organize your email. I save valuable time by streamlining my inbox. I can compress long e-mail threads into conversations that can be prioritized, categorized, and conveniently filed-away.