Mobility in this day and age is indispensable, and custom apps can be a great way for businesses to connect with their customers. A recent SalesForce study on mobile behavior found that smartphone users spend between 3-4 hours per day, primarily to email (91%), text (90%), and search the Internet (76%) - with social networking (75%) following closely behind.
Businesses have already begun to change their strategies to include SMS messaging, responsive web design, and optimized emails for smaller screens, but there is still a lag in adoption when it comes to custom business apps. Yet, despite slow adoption, consumers' cite "access to content any way they want" as the most important factor in a mobile experience according, to the study.
Providing customers with a custom app to connect with the business is not only beneficial for you, but also preferred by them. The ExactTarget study noted that 65 percent of those polled have downloaded business-specific apps for more convenient access to information. Of those who do use business-specific apps, 92 percent believe they are useful.
Custom apps can provide customers with important, timely information in an easy-to-use platform. A smartly-designed app can help businesses improve customer relationships and brand loyalty. Below are 5 ways businesses can use custom applications to improve their customer's experience.
1. Create a personalized experience. When a customer downloads your business app, offer them a way to connect their account profile to it, or create an account profile. This not only allows you to gain deeper insight about your customer base, but also enables you to customize the app to each customer. Retail apps, for instance, can improve the customer's experience by greeting them by name every time the app is opened to create familiarity, remember their clothing sizes to improve the search experience, and recommend clothing options based on past purchases. Businesses should tailor their apps to provide personalized experiences based on the goods and services they offer.
2. Push notifications. Push notifications allow you to alert the user of important information. Push notifications work especially well for delivery notifications, flash sales, weather announcements, and email alerts. Push notifications allow your business app to get the attention of the user - even if the app sits on the 3rd or 4th page of the screen.
3. Integrate your app. According to Gartner, 90 percent of consumers use multiple screens in sequence during the same day. Don't lose the attention of your audience by only focusing on the app. Design an app that fosters consistent interaction across devices. Recommended ways to integrate your app with other device types are to allow users to save their progress and continue from other devices, provide social login tools, and develop a consistent web and mobile presence.
4. Provide meaningful content. As mentioned above, 65 percent of respondents surveyed downloaded business-specific apps for easier access to information. Leverage this knowledge to determine what information is most valuable to your customers and make it easy to find on your application.
Because of the smaller screen size, many mobile websites cannot support full functionality of their desktop counterparts. Therefore, businesses have opted to condense the information provided on a mobile site - often leaving mobile visitors dissatisfied. Custom applications allow more functionality than mobile websites - creating a better user experience for the user.
5. Simple design. Creating a relevant, easy-to-navigate design can increase brand loyalty and improve conversions. Understanding your customer can help determine the content paths of your application. Other layout considerations include large buttons, optimized images, clean font types, and limited clutter.
Strengthen business-customer relationships and improve communication efforts with a customer-centric app. Contact Pinnacle, an Advanced Imaging Solutions Company to learn more about custom development options today!