Something that has been said of the Millennials, or previously referred to as Gen Y, is that they work smarter not harder. What does that mean exactly? Is that just a really nice way of saying they are lazy? Regardless of how you look at it, it would be nice to get the same amount of work done in less time, freeing you up to do other important tasks. Microsoft Dynamics GP has some functionality that would enable you to do this very thing.
Remember those hours you spent looking through transaction after transaction after transaction, trying to identify the customers that were past due on their payments. Or maybe you just wanted to know what receivables are due today. How long would that take you?
What if instead of searching through the lists of transactional data, the handful of transactions you are looking for could be automatically filtered out as exceptions? What if these exceptions could be on your home page when you log into GP every morning? That would save you a lot of time and money.
Well, I am here to tell you just that scenario is not only possible, but also how to do it.
Before you can add reminders to your home page, you need to ensure those reminders are setup. There are two types of reminders: predefined reminders and customized reminders. Predefined reminders are reminders that already have been created for you and that you can choose to be reminded of. Predefined reminders exist for:
- Overdue invoices
- Payables due
- Recurring General Ledger batches
- Recurring Receivables batches
- Recurring Payables batches
- Items due for stock count
- Lots due to expire
(The options displayed in this window depends on what you have installed and registered.)
Setup Predefined Reminders:
- Open the User Preferences window. (Home >> User Preferences)
- Choose Reminders to open the Reminder Preferences window.
- Mark the check box for each event to be reminded of and enter the number of days preceding the event that the reminder should open.
- Specify whether to display predefined reminders as Cues. (This will have the reminder appear on the home page.)
- Choose OK and close the window.
- In the User Preferences window, choose OK to close the window.
You can setup customized reminders to alert you when a SmartList favorite meets the conditions that you specify. For example, for the default SmartList favorite named Customer Balance, you can setup a customized reminder to let you know when a customer’s balance is larger than $1,000.
Create a custom reminder:
- Open the Reminder Preferences window. (Home >> User Preferences >> Reminders button)
- Choose New to open the Custom Reminder window.
- Enter a SmartList favorite. (The “Category” and “Visible To” information for the SmartList favorite that you entered is displayed.)
- Mark one of the following options to indicate the condition that must exist for the reminder to be displayed.
- Number of records Mark this option to be reminded when the number of records in a SmartList favorite meet a condition that you specify. For example, you could create a condition where you would be reminded when a SmartList favorite contained greater than 50 records. (If you marked Number of records, you can specify whether to display custom reminders as Cues.)
- Total of column Mark this option to be reminded when the amount for a SmartList favorite column that you specify meets a condition that you specify. For example, you can create a condition where you will be reminded if the Document Amount column in the Sales Transactions SmartList favorite is less than $1,000.
5. Choose OK to save your changes and close the window.
A list of customized reminders that you have created is displayed in the Reminders Preferences window.
Finally, to add these reminders to your home page use the To Do Details window to specify the information you want to display.
Customize the To Do area on your home page:
- Display your home page. (Choose the Home navigation pane button)
- Click the “Customize this page…” link at the top of the content pane to open the Customize Home Page window.
- Mark the To Do option to display the To Do area on your home page.
- Choose the To Do expansion button to open the To Do Details window.
- Mark the Microsoft Dynamics GP reminders by selecting “Display as a Cue” for them to display in the list of reminders on your home page.
- Choose OK to save your settings and close the window.
Hopefully, you have found this helpful, and this tip can give you back some time to do other things.